I struggled a bit to make it work too, but here's what I finally used.
I am running ReviewBoard on CentOS 5.2 under Apache/mod_python/Python
2.5.1/linux64.  (The Python ldap module, linking to openldap libs I
believe, is responsible for the actual connection.)

LDAP server: ldap://serverhostname.example.com:389
LDAP base DN: dc=example,dc=com
E-Mail Domain: <leave blank>
E-mail LDAP attribute: mail
Left "Use TLS" unchecked
User Mask: (&(objectclass=User) (mailNickname=%s))
   - in our case, mailNickname is always the account name. I think
'sAMAccountName' is commonplace too. Basically extracts just the
userid of the record.

Our server requires a user to bind & connect first, before doing the
query. This is what "Anonymous User Mask" refers to (hint to RB
authors: try renaming this field to something else?)
For example, if 'jdoe' is the user I want to use for all lookups, on
OU OrgUnit, you would put in:

Anonymous User Mask: cn=jdoe,ou=OrgUnit,dc=example,dc=com
Anonymous Password: ******
 -- just the password