I am using LDAP to authenticate users in Review board - this obviously
means I have little control over what people choose as their
passwords.

Recently one of the users could not log in, after enabling debug we
saw the following message:
WARNING - An error while LDAP-authenticating:
UnicodeEncodeError('ascii', u'BuffySlayer_3\xa3', 13, 14, 'ordinal not
in range(128)'

It appears the user had a £ sign in their password and this is causing
authentication issues.  Is this a known problem? I had a look and cant
find anything that indicates that certain characters cannot be used?

I am happy to raise it as a bug if that helps keep a track of this
issue?

Many thanks
Dan