I am getting an error similar to what was reported some time ago in
this post:

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xef in position
1285: ordinal not in range(128)

>> I then went in to the rbtools postreview.py file, and changed:
>>         return content_type, content.encode('utf-8')
>> to:
>>         return content_type, content#.encode('utf-8')
>> The user's post-review worked fine after that.

I too am seeing the problem only with Visual Studio 2008 .config
and.csproj files. I examined the postreview.py change that was
reported to fix the problem in the other post, and my version of
postreview.py seems to already have this fix (at the end of

>>        return content_type, content

The server is Ubuntu (although that likely does not matter since it is
blowing up client-side), installed following the directions from the

Client OS is Windows 7 x64, Python info:

Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Nov 27 2010, 17:19:03) [MSC v.1500 64 bit
(AMD64)] on win32
>>> import sys
>>> sys.getdefaultencoding()

We are loving Review Board but the manual process of creating reviews
via the web is too cumbersome, given the relative difficulty of
determining the 'Base Path' (it can be different for different
changesets) for the .patch files created by TortoiseSVN. We got this
patch http://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/2099/diff/ working great to
allow post-review to work with SVN changelists, so our last remaining
hurdle is getting past this encoding error. Thanks for any help you
can provide.

An example problem file can be found at this location: