Craig A wrote:
I am getting an error similar to what was reported some time ago in
this post:

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xef in position
1285: ordinal not in range(128)

Specifically you are hitting:

The BOM mark at the start of the file. Thanks for making the file available so this could be confirmed. If this is a new file the diff will include the BOM.

The error above usually occurs when there is an assumption that there is a a Unicode string, and file diff contents should be bytes (i.e. it shouldn't go through ANY string/unicode processing).

Can you post the error, the complete traceback? Along with the version you are using.

You mention you've customized postreview (pretty common, my company does too) but it is possible that your new code has the Unicode assumption in it rather than the original RBtools. It is worth your while doing a quick test with a virgin version of the latest RBTools (that traceback would be the most helpful to people on the list).

Happy user? Let us know at