Review Board is known to work with basic http auth.

We don't support hg postreview, but if you could try running with
debugging (post-review, at least, has a --debug flag), it may tell us
more.

What version of Review Board are you running, and what server/Python
backend (mod_python, wsgi, etc.)

Christian