You shouldn't be getting an error. If the SCM is configured correctly, with
the file type being set to binary, then the diff should just basically say
"This is a binary file." The problem of course is that you can't actually
review that file, but we're adding support for actual reviewable file
attachments in 1.6, so that might help in some cases.

What type of file is this? And what type of repository?