Hi Barry,

The red boxes come from Pygments, the syntax highlighting module we use. The
reason why you're seeing them (most likely) is that you're using a file
extension that Pygments has mapped to another type of file. For example,
".m" is often used for Objective C, but is also used for Matlab, and Matlab
is what Pygments maps it to.

There have been requests for some way to override the mappings, which I
think we should do. The only alternative right now is to edit the installed
Pygments files and update the mappings, but that won't survive upgrades of
Pygments.

It's pretty annoying, and this has come up a lot, so I think having
something for the mappings will be a goal after we finish this release.