Christian:

You were right, of course; the files in question were .cfg files, which
Pygments treats as INI type configuration files.  I haven't found a
definition for the red-outline box, but my guess that it indicates something
that the lexer doesn't recognize as valid in such a file.

I have removed the '.cfg' entries in .../pygments/lexers/text.py and ran
.../pygments/lexers/_mapping.py to remake the LEXERS dictionary.  However,
when I view the diffs in question, the red outlines are still there.  Are
the diffs highlghted when they are first uploaded into the database, or is
there some additional step necessary apply the new mapping.

Thanks for your help.

Barry