As much as I don't like to, I finally had to just convert things over to a
root install rather than a subdirectory install.  Fact is, we want to use
Review Board, but we need to start using it now rather than later.  So I'll
accept having to use it in the root until we can figure out the problem.

In the meantime ... if you have any further ideas for things I can change,
settings I can tweak, or even places in the code I might hack to get this
working I'm all ears.  Ideally, this will need to end up in a subdirectory
anyway, so the sooner we can move on that the better.

~Eric