Okay, I think then that the file:// you had was correct, and the problem has
to do with the setup of Cygwin.

When Cygwin was installed, was it configured by your user, or all users?

If it complained about finding sh, then it sounds like Cygwin isn't in
Apache's path. Check the PATH environment variable in System Settings and
make sure that the global PATH contains the Cygwin bin directories.