Hi,

Since Review Board is a Python module, and is installed to the system module
directory, the newest version will always be used by default.

To get back to a working 1.5.5, you can locate the ReviewBoard-1.6rc1*.egg
directory and delete it. Then re-register 1.5.5 through easy_install by
doing:

    $ sudo easy_install -U ReviewBoard=1.5.5

That should fetch and re-install. You still have the old version, but this
will just make sure it's once again being used (otherwise it will try to
find the now deleted 1.6rc1).

So that should get you back to where you started.

One question: Are both the old and new site using the same exact database?
If so, your database had some changes made. It probably won't break your
1.5.5 setup, but it's possible something will have gone wrong, or that it
may require some manual fixes when you move back to 1.6.

Now, having only one of those sites on the same server running 1.6rc1 is
potentially tricky. It will involve installing ReviewBoard to some custom
directory and then setting the PYTHONPATH environment variable for that
server to use it.

A couple important notes:

1) I would strongly recommend that, if you want to test new versions, that
you do it on a non-production system, such as your own machine or on a VM.
You can always copy over your database if you need to. That's the best way
of making sure things work without all the mess below, and that you don't
inadvertently break your production install.

2) My instructions here are completely untested, as co-installed versions
isn't something we generally support. It's a guess and you'll probably have
to tweak some things yourself. Again, I recommend #1 above.

3) I'm putting out a 1.6 RC2 release this week. Probably by Tuesday, though
that date is tentative right now.

There's a Python script called virtualenv, which allows you to set up a
custom Python installation, essentially. It's generally used for development
and testing new versions of things.

What you would need to do is install virtualenv (easy_install virtualenv)
and then set it up somewhere. You can do this like:

    $ virtualenv /var/www/dev_rb/python

(You'll probably need to create this directory first and assign it
permissions for a non-root user. Should be a user account.)

That python directory will now contain a few directories. One of them is
"bin". This will contain a script called "activate," which you'll need to
run in your shell to temporarily start using that environment.

    $ cd /var/www/dev_rb/python
    $ source ./bin/activate

Now your custom Python directory should be used. You can try installing the
new version of Review Board. To be safe, don't do it as root. If you
assigned the directory above to your user account, you should be able to
just run it as your user.

    $ easy_install -f http://blahblah -U ReviewBoard

(Basically, the line you used to get RC1.)

If that worked, and didn't complain, then you have Review Board 1.6 RC1
installed in your custom python directory.

The trick now is getting Apache to recognize it. I believe you can do this
by setting the PYTHONPATH environment variable for your site. So in your
<VirtualHost>, try adding:

    SetEnv PYTHONPATH "/var/www/dev_rb/python/lib/python2.6/site-packages"

(I'm assuming Python 2.6 above, but change it to the version you use.)

You'll also need to upgrade the site. You'll have to use the custom rb-site
installed in the "bin" directory (I think it'll be in there? Again,
untested!)

    $ /var/www/dev_rb/python/bin/rb-site upgrade /var/www/dev_rb

Then try restarting Apache and using the site.

Now I want to stress again that this may not work. You may also have to
tweak things. For example, the PYTHONPATH above may have to include your
system's PYTHONPATH as well (though I think this is sufficient). You may
also have to set that variable in some other location if it's not being
reached.

Good luck!