Christian Hammond wrote:
...A couple important notes:

1) I would strongly recommend that, if you want to test new versions, that you do it on a non-production system, such as your own machine or on a VM. You can always copy over your database if you need to. That's the best way of making sure things work without all the mess below, and that you don't inadvertently break your production install.

My 2 cents, even in the test machine, I take backups[1] ahead of time so that if things go badly I can re-run (and document failures for bug reports, etc.). Going backwards without a backup is just not worth the hassle (and doesn't usually work).

[1] Where for me backups might be as simple as a VM snapshot, or a database backup along with www file system tar up.

Chris