We talk directly to the SMTP server (by way of Django). The response time is
taking too long, hence the blocking. One alternative is to fork or create a
thread and do it, but there are some compatibility issues to deal with. We
might have a solution down the road, but for now, it'd be worth figuring out
why the response time is so bad.

Christian