I did an upgrade from pre-1.0 SVN to 1.5.5. The instructions are in a

Your steps will be a little different because you are using
easy_install. And you might not have the missing table issue I had.

easy_install is generally easy to get:
Red Hat-based: yum install python-setuptools
Debian-based: apt-get install python-setuptools

Considering how old 1.0 is, the OS could be EOL'd, you might want to
start on a new server. If you don't have spare servers/VMs, at least
do the testing in a VM on your workstation. I would dump the database
and restore it to a test database. And copy the site files to a test
location. Then test doing upgrades of the test DB and files until you
get it right. Then shutdown the real site, do a backup, then upgrade.