On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Sanjay Lal <sklqui...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to verify if I am doing things correctly - I have install
> reviewboard 1.6, apache 2.1.9 and all the dependencies etc. I have
> following conf files in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/reviews.hsgbu.com/
> conf -
>
> apache-wsgi.conf  search-cron.conf  settings_local.py
> settings_local.pyc
>
> Should I just append the contents of  /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/
> reviews.hsgbu.com/conf/apache-wsgi.conf  to /usr/local/apache2/conf/
> httpd.conf?  Or I am supposed to do anything else?

Are you able to start fresh, maybe with a different Linux distro?

There are a few things wrong here.
* You said redhad linux 5.5, I'm going to assume that is RHEL 5 or a
rebuild of it like Oracle or CentOS. RHEL 5 has pretty old versions of
things, like Python 2.4. You would be better off with something based
on RHEL 6, like CentOS 6. RHEL 5 will work if you have to use it.

* You should not compile apache from source, almost no one should.
2.1.9 is really ancient, even RHEL comes with 2.2.3 by default.
Install apache with:
yum groupinstall "Web Server"

* You do not need mod_python. It would be better to use mod_wsgi.
mod_wsgi is in the EPEL repository for RHEL 5, Google will tell you
how to install the EPEL repository. Neither of them should be
installed from source, instead do:
yum install mod_python
yum install mod_wsgi

* In a normal install of Red Hat, you should avoid editing httpd.conf
(in /etc/httpd/conf/), instead copy the virtual host configs to
/etc/httpd/conf.d/.

* Avoid using apachectl. Instead use:
service httpd start|stop|restart|graceful
OR
/etc/init.d/httpd start|stop|restart|graceful

Overall advice for Linux admins, do not install from source. If you
find yourself about to install from source, step back, and find a
package/repository. Even fairly cutting-edge things like CouchDB and
Redis have packages in EPEL.

Hope that helps,
Anton