I'm having more trouble getting LDAP authentication.

I'll admit up front, I'm working with a web server where dedicating a
portion of apache just to review board was not possible. I had to
append the rules to the default site, at the directory root/reviews.
This is a hard requirement.

I am also using FastCGI.  This is because of other issues with WSGI on
the server.

The problem is root/reviews/api/ is not accepting LDAP
authentication.  So far as I can tell, it's not even attempting to
query LDAP for the information, and the logs have no information.  Is
there something I should look for to have the API authenticate
properly, especially in this weird setup?