So off-hand, I don't know why you're hitting this, but let's just run
through a couple more things.

During upload time, when we go to verify a file's existence, we run:

    git --git-dir=<repo path> cat-file -t <revision>

If you run that on your bare repo, does that still work? What do you see?

If not, what happens when you clone the repo and try it there?