I wouldn't expect it to need to be in that directory. We do look for a
"fatal:" but only for "Not a valid object name." However, it's very likely
that the error code is when you execute that isn't 0, so we're failing.

So for that repo, if you're in /proj/git/def.git, it works?

What version of git is installed there?