It does seem that the error status is 0:
> git --git-dir=/proj/git/def.git cat-file -t febdf30
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
blob
> echo $?
0

I just notice an odd thing, though.  I logged into two other systems
that can see that repository (we have it mounted over NFS), one of
which is the machine on which the repository is actually located and
also is where Review Board runs.  On those two systems, I don't get
the "fatal" error message.  I thought maybe it was because on those
system I don't have a .gitconfig directory in my home directory but I
tried my moving that out of the way on my local workstation and I
still get the error, so I'm not sure what causes the difference.  In
any event, it might be that Review Board isn't getting that fatal
error message, so that might be a red-herring.

Hmmm.  The two machines on which I don't get the error message are
running git 1.7.0.4, and on my system it is git 1.7.4.1.  (Review
Board is therefore getting 1.7.0.4.)