I can't imagine why GitHub would be contacted. Can you get more details on
that? At what stage is it contacted?

I don't know what the Permission Denied is caused by, but can you verify
that your Apache user has read/write access to sitedir/data/ and everything
in it?

Does your server have SELinux turned on?