I've tried to understand how this mapping is perfomed and came up with the
following description/example. Can anyone confirm that I got it right?

Thanks.

ReviewBoard diff comments are mapped to the virtual diff table which is
shown in the web interface, not to a location in the old or new file.

Take for instance the following side-by-side comparison:

 1: This is the first line     This is the first line
 2: This is the second line
 3:                            This is the third line
 4: This is the fourth line
 4: This is the fifth line     This is the fifth line ( adjusted )

The line mappings are the following:
Unified diffOld fileNew file11122N/A3N/A243N/A543