Thilo-Alexander Ginkel wrote:
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 23:01, Christian Hammond <chip...@chipx86.com> wrote:
I don't believe they're stored temporarily anywhere. If so, it's internal to
Django and I don't know it off-hand.

The only thing I've ever seen permission-wise is when there's a directory
within media/uploaded that doesn't have the proper write permissions for the
server.

Hm... Actually, after doing some more testing I think that permissions
aren't an issue as GIF files can be uploaded properly. I also can't
imaging why libpng should be loadable from the command line, but not
from the Apache process...

Arise zombie thread, live again! ;-)

OK, so it turns out after years of happily running with RB we've hit this too. I KNOW this used to work (as my image testing when we first deployed was with PNG files).

Our problem appears to be identical to this, regular RB install (i.e. easy_install based) which always seems to pull down PIL even though it is already installed (we're running Ubuntu server and I always ensure the debian PIL package is installed that has full image support). We could only attach new GIF screen shots to reviews.

Using PIL in a Python terminal always worked (i.e. open the supposedly bad image via Image.open), but RB/Django would always fail with:

------ Cut here ------

 Upload Screenshot

One or more fields had errors
Caption:
   * Upload a valid image. The file you uploaded was either not an
     image or a corrupted image.

------ Cut here ------

On a hunch I thought I'd have a look at what PIL instances are on the file system (e.g. all the eggs that easy_install pulled down), after upgrading a few times over the years we had 2.

reviews:~$ find / -name \*PIL\* 2>/dev/null
/usr/share/pyshared/PIL.pth
/usr/share/pyshared/PIL
/usr/share/pyshared/PIL/PIL-1.1.6.egg-info
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL.pth
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL-1.1.6-py2.5-linux-i686.egg
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL-1.1.6-py2.5-linux-i686.egg/PIL
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/PIL-1.1.6.egg-info
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL

... So I removed all the PIL eggs (remember I already have PIL installed):

sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL-1.1.6-py2.5-linux-i686.egg /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/PIL-1.1.6.egg-info

Followed by a reviewboard restart:

   sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

And we can now attach PNGs and not just GIFs. So what out for easy_install and PIL.

I know pip purports to support removal (and would probably be a better solution) so this is not a recommendation of resolution! I'm just sharing what I found on my system, don't go deleting files if you don't know the impact/dependencies!

Chris