On Tuesday, November 8, 2011, Stephen Gallagher <step...@gallagherhome.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 03:09 -0800, Annulen wrote:
>> Use case 2: People use VCS, but they work on Windows and don't want to
>> install Python to get post-review. It's almost impossible to format
>> diff manually for git or hg.
>
> This is not true at all, at least for git:
>
> git format-patch -1 -M -C --full-index
>
> There, that's all you need.

Or git diff --full-index works too.

I understand the use cases, but it's a very large amount of work needed to
do what you want and introduces new headaches. It's basically not something
we're going to tackle, and given that we work with the diffs that most SCM
tools generate, there's not really a lot of reason to not require that.

The number of people who will contribute patches but cannot work the right
tools are generally low, and it's not a niche we'd want to address. In
general, it's a pain to merge in such patches anyway, and the projects I've
been in have frowned upon that. So I'd say it's a social/contributor
problem and not a Review Board problem.