I have looked at the 'Review Request Resource' and using exactly the
same method I use for submitting a review request I try to set the
description.
However this is not working (I do this after the review is submitted).

Can anyone help?

I am using the code from post-review and do this:
        self.api_put(review_request['links']['self']['href'], {
            'description': "Testing",
        })

If I do the same with submitted and submitted it works, however the
above does not seem to modify the description or add to the text field
seen in the Web UI.
That said its not failing either?

Cheers
Dan