On Nov 23, 2011, at 7:56, Joeri Sebrechts <joeri.sebrec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm currently preparing to roll out ReviewBoard to a development team,
> and am experimenting with different approaches to do reviews. The
> server is a windows server (I can't help that fact).
>
> I've been testing with various diffs extracted from our subversion
> history, and mostly this works fine, but it breaks down on a subset of
> SQL scripts in our repository.
>
> These SQL scripts can be > 10 MB in size. They have a sort of internal
> versioning, meaning content only gets added to the bottom, usually in
> small increments (100 line in the typical case, 5000 lines in a worst-
> case). When I include them in a diff, even for a small change, it
> takes *minutes* to load the diff in the diff viewer. Looking at the
> logs patch.exe seems like it is to blame for this. Enabling memcache
> didn't make a big difference for these files.
>
> How can I make the diff viewer perform better for these files? Is the
> only solution to split them up?

Pretty much, yes. There's a lot of processing that takes place for a diff to
generate the side-by-side view, and nearly all of it takes longer for larger
files. Something on the order of 10MB is just going to be slow.

You may have better performance on a Linux install. Windows, in the case of
Python webapps, tends to be slower.

In the case of patch.exe, do you find that it ever finishes? If not, it may be
related to another bug we've recently fixed. Though, it'll still be slow given
the file size, as patch is just the first part of this.

Christian