I have also faced these issues, while configuring RB with LDAP, which
required me to modify the backends.py to add filters.

In my case

user mask: sAMAccountName=%s
Anonymous user mask contains following entries: CN=ldapquery,OU=Service
Accounts,OU=Exception Accounts,DC=na,DC=xxxxxxware,DC=com
Supply Anonymous user password.