On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:39 AM, rv_saraswathi <rv.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  I started apache using "sudo apachectl -k
> start".  Is it becoz of this?  If yes, I need a way to figure out how
> to start Apa;che w/o using sudo command.  Any help appreciated.

It's best not to use apache2ctl to start and stop httpd. In Ubuntu 11.10
you can use 'service' and 'update-rc.d'.

To enable apache2 on boot:
sudo update-rc.d apache2 enable

To disable apache2 on boot:
sudo update-rc.d apache2 disable

To start apache2 manually:
sudo service apache2 start

You can replace 'start' with stop, restart, reload (or graceful), status,
and a few others.

In older Ubuntu and Debian versions without the 'service' command you can
do:
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start

For reference, on Red Hat-based systems the equivalent commands are:
sudo chkconfig httpd on
sudo service httpd start

-Anton