Ok, after a further look through the logged debug info from the
aforementioned command I see the following:

, '+    </target>\n', '+\n', '+</project>\n', '\\ No newline at end of
file\n', 'Index: RMS/branches/ORs/OR11088_sil/Web_Server/rtmakehelp/
original_documents/ug_037_airp_tr4_w2k3. doc\n',
'===================================================================
\n', 'Binary files RMS/branches/ORs/OR11088_sil/Web_Server/rtmakehelp/
original_documents/ug_037_airp_tr 4_w2k3.doc\t(revision 0) and RMS/
branches/ORs/OR11088_sil/Web_Server/rtmakehelp/original_documents/
ug_037_airp_tr4_w2k3.doc\t(revision 4067) differ\n', "svn: 'diff'
returned 2\n"]

It looks like diff has identified a difference between two binary
files (Word .doc files) and has errored out at this stage. Is there
any way around this, perhaps some option(s) I can specify to ignore
binaries or something similar?

Cheers,
Andy