Unfortunately, I'm not able to upgrade the OS.  Were I able to pick, I'd be
using a distro with debs.

I'm actually already running python2.6 in parallel (using the ActivePython
port).  It's up and functional, I just don't know how to get RB to use
python2.6 now, instead of python2.4.  ActivePython has a functional
easy_install but I forgot about wsgi.  Thanks for the reminder.  I'll have
to do some more digging.