I think we've come to the conclusion that when adding a new repository it
uses the servers p4 command line though when creating reviews (using
post-review) it must use the p4 command line on the client.

Hopefully we're right in that regard?

Either way, I've set the character set on the client and server to utf8 for
my account and the same error is generated.  I think this means that when
adding a new repository it's not using the credentials I add on the 'new
repository' screen (username and password anyway).

What credentials are used when adding repositories and generating reviews?
 If we can make them different (once we know what they are) we might be
able to host both non-unicode and unicode repositories on the same
ReviewBoard server.

Thanks
Lee