Hi,

We are planning on extending Review Board to include instant messaging
capabilities, for real-time notifications using an XMPP client for a
web information systems course (our proposal can be found at the
bottom).

Not sure where to start, although we are confident that the said
feature will be beneficial for the whole community. If you have any
thoughts or suggestion on how to go about this, it will be great.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Gautham

Review Board is a powerful web based code review tool that offers
developers an easy way to handle code reviews. It scales well from
small projects to large companies and offers a variety of tools to
take much of the stress and time out of the code review process (more
info: http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/).

A member of our team had worked with Review Board in the past, and
suggested that we look on their project page for ideas. This made
sense because we had in front of us a solid code base, and also the
opportunity to contribute to an open source project that could
potentially be used in the real world.

After looking through the project enhancements wish list (http://
code.google.com/p/reviewboard/issues/list), we found the ‘instant
messaging integration’ to be the most interesting idea.

By default, email notifications are sent for new review requests,
updates on reviews, etc. However, by integrating Review Board with an
instant messaging client like Jabber, we would facilitate real-time
collaboration. For instance, if two or more contributors are online
and using the system at the same time then they would not have to
leave the current screen to see updates and so on. Ideally, we would
also like to log all the status updates and review requests to an
invitation-only chat room, for future reference.

Review Board has the following dependencies:
       Django (from Subversion)
       django-evolution
       Git
       nose
       paramiko
       patch
       Python Setuptools
       recaptcha-client
       Sphinx
       SQLite

The technologies we will be using for the ‘instant messaging
integration’ will include all of the above, in addition to the usual
HTML/CSS/JavaScript. Although, the project might seem ambitious at the
moment, we are fairly confident that with the experience we have on
board, we can most certainly achieve the desired results.