My assessment wasn't entirely correct.
Even with the command-line "p4" tool values set in a config file $P4CONFIG take precedence over other $P4* variables.

So that is a problem for post-review too.
If we run post-review with --p4-client it merely set os.environ['P4CLIENT'] and it will have no effect if $P4CONFIG points to a config file that sets a different client.

I'd say post-review needs to call p4 commands with -c p4_client, and other options too.

For the time being, since my environment already has all the values I need, I'm just calling os.environ.pop('P4CONFIG') in my wrapper before calling 'post-review'. That doesn't work too well if I just want to override one value but use the rest from my .p4rc.