On Friday, June 1, 2012 6:54:08 PM UTC+2, Christian Hammond wrote:

> The branch doesn't come into play. All that's needed for checking out a
> file is a filename and revision.
>
> Something like cgit is actually required for remote Git repositories, as
> Git has no ability to fetch individual blobs remotely.
>
> Yea, that makes sense. But when I am using post-review to generate a diff
on a local branch to a remote branch, the diff is correct. However, when
the server tries to apply the patch, it fails. The server returns an error
that one of the files is not found in the remote branch. After
investigating this,
it turns out that the master on remote repos does not have that file, and
the remote branch does. So it seems that the patch was applied to the
default branch, master on the server (which is what cgit delivers in the
RAW URL without the branch specification).

The diff generated by post-review is correct (diff is created from the
correct remote branch to local branch), but the apply on the server side
seems to not apply the diff on the correct branch. What I cannot understand
is that once the diff is generated on the client side, the branch
information is lost. How does the server know which branch to apply the
received patch (through the cgit interface)? BTW, everything worked when I
used a local clone residing on the server.

Ryan