You were right, there was nothing wrong with the settings. The problem
was I was setting myself as one of the default reviewers and trying to
post a review request from my name. I tried posting review request as
a different user and it added me and the other default reviewers to
the reviewers section automatically.

However, it is strange that review board does not add default
reviewers to my review request because I am one of the default
reviewer. Is this a bug or is it done on purpose?