Thanks for the help Christian.
I had an ah-ha moment during the reinstall.  I didn't notice an error
with the .python-eggs directory creation (not sure how i missed this
the first time, it was pretty obvious).

The basic problem was that i was doing sudo -s and then installing rb
from that shell.  My home directory was pointing to my original login
account and root didn't have access to create a .python-eggs directory
under my $HOME.  This was causing issues setting up  the SCMTools.
Once I set my home appropriately, blew away my database and
reinstalled, I now see these repositories populated.

Thanks again!

Dan