I'm a little confused about what you mean by revision sets. Are you
referring to SVN or Mercurial? When searching around for tagging local
revision sets, I found many results regarding Mercurial.

My understanding of tagging is that the eventual merging, after the
reviews, is slow and expensive. Is there a way to do pre-commit reviews
without such costly operations as copying workspaces and merging?