Sorry, I don't think I understand. What do you mean by "a blank mysql
database sqlite database?"

It sounds like the data in the database that represents the database schema
(not the schema itself, but a serialized representation used to handle
database migrations) didn't get copied into the new database properly when
you did what you did. You would need to copy that data (from the
django_project_version and django_evolution tables) over from the old
database properly without changing any content in order to upgrade.

If this is not an option, you will need to downgrade to the version you
were previously running, delete the contents of the django_project_version
and django_evolution tables, re-run the rb-site upgrade (make sure you're
absolutely back on the old version first!), and then re-do your upgrade.

Make sure to back up the database before doing the above.