So I figured out a workaround.  If I include my user name in the URL
(svn+ssh://<username>@<hostname>/repository_path) it works.

So I'm thinking the username could be added to the URL if it is not already
present in the URL but is specified on the "add repository" page?

I can possibly look into this if I have time in the near future.