When MySQL is running, there should be a socket file. Can you look to see
if /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock exists? If not, check /etc/my.cnf and see if
it has a "socket=" line that points to a socket file.

What does your DATABASES setting look like in
$rbsitedir/conf/settings_local.py? (I don't need the username or password
parts.)