ok, answering my own question:

cvs diff -uN -r 99999.99999999 <file>

Please note the  99999.99999999  that is a revision bigger than the current
one of the file.
That seems to be produce a diff file as if the file is new. (don't ask me
why :) )

Tested in windows client, CVS, CVSNT server.

Also using post-review with a revision range higher than the current one
works.