I switched it this morning to run as it's own VHost, but I also have it
using lighttpd + fastcgi now.  It worked without a hitch, so I think I'm
just going to leave it this way and not bother with apache.  A link I found
listed a 503 as apache's default response to "PUT" requests, so  I was
probably running in to that.

Thanks for your help!