I am facing a similar issue. Actually I had successfully configured LDAP
and it was working fine (I am using version 1.6.5). However I had an issue
with uploading jpeg images so I uninstalled PIL and did some modifications
to setup.py (JPEG_ROOT = "/usr/lib") and reinstalled PIL along with
libjpeg-devel. I was able to upload jpeg images.

 However a new issue popped up, my LDAP configuration was gone and when i
checked Authentication settings, there was no LDAP option at all! Only two
authentication methods were available. Not sure what went wrong. Would an
upgrade of Review Board resolve the issue? Appreciate your help..