Hi Matthew,

When scanning for the right type of SCMTool for a repository, we ask each
SCMTool to try to provide information on the repository. If we can get
something useful out of it, we assume the tool is valid.

The Git tool is asking for that data and is computing the tracking branch
up-front, in all cases. It might be nice to only fetch when we need it, and
we know there's a lot of work that needs to be done to refactor this code
and clean it up. Would you mind filing a bug to help us track this?