Well, I'm having the same error and I know my way around LDAP:

LDAP Server: ldap://localhost:389
LDAP Base DN: ou=Users,dc=local
Given Name Attribute: givenName
Surname Attribute: sn
Full Name Attribute: cn
E-Mail LDAP Attribute: mail
User Mask: (uid=%s)
Anonymous User Mask: cn=proxyuser,dc=local
Anonymous User Password: xxxx

When presented with valid LDAP credentials, ReviewBoard rejects them and I
receive this error in my Apache log:
[error] WARNING:root:LDAP error: {'desc': 'Bad search filter'}

Running this on the command line life is good:
ldapsearch -x -H ldap://localhost:389 -D 'cn=proxyuser,dc=local' -w xxxx -b
'ou=Users,dc=local' '(uid=localuser)'

I know the '(uid=%s)' filter specification is not the problem since when I
log in with the built-in 'admin' account I see the appropriate error
message in my Apache2 log:
[error] WARNING:root:LDAP error: The specified object does not exist in the
Directory: (uid=admin)

Hence the uid filter is expanding properly, and there are no mysterious
filters in the initial LDAP search dip. There's gotta be another LDAP
search that has a poorly-constructed filter.