Awesome, that was a huge help!

So the first time I ran the snippit below it gave me this:

>>> import pkg_resources
>>> list(pkg_resources.iter_entry_points('reviewboard.auth_backends'))
[]

To cut a long story short, we custom build packages for a lot of things and
unpack them to /path/to/packages/package_name/, then symlink to a common
location which makes dealing with PATH's very easy. So for example

/path/to/packages/reviewboard/site-packages/reviewboard-1.6.15.egg-info/
links to /path/to/common/site-packages/reviewboard-1.6.15.egg-info.

When we upgraded from 1.6.5 to 1.6.15 the process should have tidied up the
old version from /path/to/common/site-packages, but didn't do its job
properly. It cleared the contents of the old directory, but left the
directory itself behind. I straced the Python shell which showed me it was
looking for entry_points.txt under /path/to/common/site-packages, fine. It
then came across the old (empty) directory for reviewboard-1.6.5.egg-info,
saw it was empty and moved on, it didn't bother to check the new
reviewboard-1.6.15.egg-info directory that had a valid entry_points.txt
file inside. So I just removed all the old egg-info directories,
re-imported the database, ran rb-site upgrade and boom the drop-down
miraculously appeared.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me, I've learned a bit more
about Python and can happily crack on with my testing now.

Cheers Christian!