Hi,

Is the dev branch pushed upstream, or is it local to your repository?

When working with Git, there are three branches to keep in mind:

1) The branch containing your change.
2) The parent branch, if any, that your branch derives from.
3) The tracking branch (origin/master, origin/dev, whatever is upstream
that your branch is eventually derived from).

The tracking branch defaults to origin/master. By default, any diff
generated will be between the tracking branch and HEAD.

If you have a different tracking branch (let's say origin/release), then
you can pass --tracking-branch=<branchname> to it.

If you have a branch based on another (unpushed) branch, you'd want to
specify that branch as your branch's parent, using --parent=<branchname>

In a simple setup, you'd have a branch off of origin/master, and all you
would need to do is run "post-review" on it.

In a more complex case where your branch looks like:

origin/dev

|- my-parent

    |- my-branch

You would checkout my-branch and do:

    post-review --tracking-branch=origin/dev --parent=my-parent

You can add the default for the tracking branch to your .reviewboardrc:

    TRACKING_BRANCH = 'origin/dev'

Hope that gives you a good overview of how you might handle this. Without
knowing your branching setup better, it's hard for me to give a more
specific example.