Hi Christian,

Thanks very much for your help, I think it's worked!  I don't think this is
relevant but thought I should include it nonetheless - as I'm working on a new
machine, I mysqldumped the database from the old system into a file and
replaced the database on the new system using that script (I took a backup
first of course even though the new system would have had an empty database).
I didn't copy over the old site's settings_local.py - I think some of the
contents have changed format slightly (e.g. DATABASE_ENGINE is now ENGINE
inside a DATABASE section?), but the values I entered when creating the new
site were identical in any case.

I used the django evolution 2.6 you referred to, installed and ran without any
problems.

The manual steps I assume you refer to are /static in apache's config?  No
problem, will get on to that - can I simply copy the old /media files into
/htdocs/static on the new system?  We had a bunch of screen grabs and diagrams
primarily.

If it's helpful to you, here's the output from the running it:

root@asok2:~# rb-site upgrade /var/www/reviews-em-software/
Rebuilding directory structure
Updating database. This may take a while.

The log output below, including warnings and errors,
can be ignored unless upgrade fails.

------------------ <begin log output> ------------------
Creating tables ...
Creating table extensions_registeredextension
Creating table accounts_localsiteprofile
Creating table attachments_fileattachment
Creating table diffviewer_filediffdata
Creating table hostingsvcs_hostingserviceaccount
Creating table reviews_fileattachmentcomment
Creating table site_localsite_users
Creating table site_localsite_admins
Creating table site_localsite
Upgrading Review Board from 1.0rc2 to 1.7.6
There are unapplied evolutions for auth.
There are unapplied evolutions for sessions.
There are unapplied evolutions for accounts.
There are unapplied evolutions for changedescs.
There are unapplied evolutions for diffviewer.
There are unapplied evolutions for reviews.
There are unapplied evolutions for scmtools.
Adding baseline version for new models
Project signature has changed - an evolution is required
Installing custom SQL ...
Installing indexes ...
Installed 0 object(s) from 0 fixture(s)
Registering new SCM Tool Plastic SCM (reviewboard.scmtools.plastic.PlasticTool)

                                                                             in
database
Registering new SCM Tool ClearCase
(reviewboard.scmtools.clearcase.ClearCaseTool

                                          ) in database
Evolution could not be simulated, possibly due to raw SQL mutations
Evolution successful.
------------------- <end log output> -------------------

Resetting in-database caches.

Upgrade complete!

The location of static media files (CSS, JavaScript, images)
has changed. You will need to make manual changes to
your web server configuration.

For Apache, you will need to add:

    <Location "/static">
        SetHandler None
    </Location>

    Alias /static "/var/www/reviews-em-software/htdocs/static"

For lighttpd:

    alias.url = (
        "/static" => "/var/www/reviews-em-software/htdocs/static",
    )

    url.rewrite-once = (
    )

Once you have made these changes, type the following
to resolve this:

    $ rb-site manage /var/www/reviews-em-software resolve-check static-media

Certainly, myself and another user have succeeded in logging in, posting a new
patch, viewing the diff, etc... Thanks again for all your help, I really really
appreciate it!

Cheers,

Justin