interestingly, after removing ALLOWED_HOSTS and even switching back to
DEBUG = False, I'm getting back:

['*']

from running the lines you recommended. here is my settings_local.py file:

# Site-specific configuration settings for Review Board
> # Definitions of these settings can be found at
> # http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/settings/
>
> # Database configuration
> DATABASES = {
>     'default': {
>         'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.mysql',
>         'NAME': 'reviewboard',
>         'USER': 'reviewBoardUser',
>         'PASSWORD': <redacted>,
>         'HOST': 'localhost',
>         'PORT': '',
>     },
> }
>
> # Unique secret key. Don't share this with anybody.
> SECRET_KEY = <redacted>
>
> # Cache backend settings.
> CACHE_BACKEND = 'memcached://localhost:11211/'
>
> # Extra site information.
> SITE_ID = 1
> SITE_ROOT = '/rb/'
> FORCE_SCRIPT_NAME = ''
> DEBUG = False

Here is the HTTP communication as reported from the browser:

   1. Request URL:
   http://atg_wpltools.meditech.com/rb/
   2. Request Method:
   GET
   3. Status Code:
   500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
   4. Request Headersview source
      1. Accept:
      text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
      2. Accept-Charset:
      ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3
      3. Accept-Encoding:
      gzip,deflate,sdch
      4. Accept-Language:
      en-US,en;q=0.8
      5. Cache-Control:
      no-cache
      6. Connection:
      keep-alive
      7. Host:
      atg_wpltools.meditech.com
      8. Pragma:
      no-cache
      9. User-Agent:
      Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like
      Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.64 Safari/537.31
      5. Response Headersview source
      1. Connection:
      close
      2. Content-Language:
      en-us
      3. Content-Length:
      526
      4. Content-Type:
      text/html; charset=utf-8
      5. Date:
      Fri, 24 May 2013 14:50:21 GMT
      6. Server:
      Apache/2.2.22 (Win32) mod_wsgi/3.5-BRANCH Python/2.7
      7. Vary:
      Accept-Language

I had substituted server.example.com in my prior post in place of
atg_wpltools.meditech.com (i.e. the error is the same as previously
reported). I have tried different permutations of ALLOWED_HOSTS, including:
['.meditech.com'], ['atg_wpltools.meditech.com'] and ['*'].