Hi Peter,

Your plan sounds about right. Let me give you a few more tidbits of info.

First, you don't want to use dumpdb/loaddb. Those are slow, last-resort methods for going in-between database types (and are not guaranteed to be bug-free). Instead, you do want psql's native commands.

You can minimize downtime by setting up the latest 1.7 release on the new server first. Create a temporary database that's used, then copy over the SECRET_KEY from the old site's conf/settings_local.py into the new one. Then, when you're ready, you can stop Apache, dump the database, import on the new server, run 'rb-site upgrade' (to upgrade the database schema), and then start Apache back up.

I don't know what your DNS setup is like, but you could just set the old name to point to the new server.

If you're using VMs for any of this, you could put postgres on its own VM, and then in the future it'll be easier to move Review Board instances around without dumping/loading the database.

Hope that helps.

Christian

Peter Snelling wrote:
I been trying out reviewboard for about 6 weeks, and it's working pretty
well (only real issue is I haven't been able to get e-mails working
properly). Now I've got a new better server to install it on. I'd like
to copy the existing review and users from the existing database before
I move it -- about 60 users and 135 review requests. I'm using pgsql,
apache, and currently version 1.7.7.1.
I don't see anything on
http://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/1.7/admin/ on how to do this, but
I see there have been a few questions about it in this group. It looks
like some of the problems have been moving to a different database (eg:
mysql to pgsql) or a different version of RB, so to keep things easy,
I'll keep the same pgsql, apache, OS, and RB instance (by upgrading just
before exporting?). I'm thinking I should probably:
- Send users a outage notice
- Stop apache
- Upgrade to the latest 1.7 version
- Export the database
- Install on a new server
- Import the database
- Send users a notice about the new server. Maybe also put a redirect on
the old server, pointing to the new one.
I'm not sure in particular about how to do the db export/import. I see
some people here used "rb-site manage /var/oldRbPath dumpdb >
dumpdb.json" , then copy that file over and do "rb-site manage
/var/newRbPath loaddb dumpdb.json". Is that the best way? Or is it
better to use psql commands to dump the database?