Your httpd.conf suggests you've got mod_status enabled.  Therefore visit
the /server-status URL on your web server.  This should cause Apache httpd
to provide a page that summarises the status of all its workers.  That may
help you understand why you've got more httpd processes than expected.

Also, I've found the MaxRequestsPerChild directive to be useful on an
installation of mine that would lock up occasionally.  Your config shows
the directive set to 4000 for the prefork MPM, but 0 (infinity) for the
worker MPM.  Check which MPM you're using (execute "httpd -V") and ensure
that MaxRequestsPerChild is taking effect.  The config file contains a set
of MPM tuning directives, duplicated for prefork and worker, make sure the
required configuration is actually active.

--
Paul